Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dollar beers, plastic cups..

A little over a year ago, I went into this super grimey bar on Fullerton and Milwaukee called Two-Way Lounge for a friend's birthday. This was during my "rum and Coke with two cherries" phase, so I proceeded to order one from this middle-aged, slightly haggard lookin' lady. I'm not hating, it went along with the whole motif, right? So anyway, I ordered and she replied with "Honey, we don't got cherries." Fair enough. I went with a Gin and Tonic because drink-wise, if it wasn't the former, it was the latter. The bar is a little dark, but not dark enough to mask ol' girl's weird, puffy eye. Did the bartender who was making my drink have some sort of eye infection or pink eye? I could've sworn I saw some gooey shit. Do eye excretions count as Chicago health code violations? I'm sitting there thinking all these crazy things and what does the bartender do seconds later? She rubs her eye, grabs the lime and puts it in my drink. Was I disgusted? A little. Was I mad? Of course not. It goes along with the whole motif, remember? I've been there a ton of times since that faithful night, but let me fast forward to yesterday morning, 7am. Fox News was talking about the first bar in the city of Chicago that has been cited since the smoking ban was put into effect. Who was it? Surprise, surprise.