Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Trendy keffiyah wearers....



Man, unless you planning on going to an anti-war rally or pro-Palestinian march... take that shit off. It's been bothering me for a miiiinute. There's been plenty of recent articles talking about Muslims being offended by the new hip-hop trend of famous rappers sporting keffiyahs around the neck, but I have been just as equally offended by the average hipster wearing them, urban outfitters selling them, and not because I'm hating but because people are just mad oblivious to shit.

The same people are some who will remain ignorant to what the garment represents; it's a symbol of freedom. Yet Palestine is far from free. Not for nothing, but how ironic that you'd see brainwashed- Israel-supporting- Americans who don't give a shit about Palestine, nor do they even know what's going on, wearing them? Traditionally, it is worn by Muslim freedom-fighters, and not around their necks as a scarf, but as a head dress... something that is STILL so shocking to some when they see women wearing (as a sign of modesty) and are quick to call them oppressed. Just the same with ANY other cultural/religious symbols.... I'm not going to wear the star of David for trend's sake, nor will you see me driving my car with a Jesus fish affixed to my bumper, you won't even see me wearing a kilt.... it's just not my culture so why am I going to desecrate anothers' sacred symbols?

“Men died fighting in a war for that. Arafat wore it. People took bullets in the back fighting for that! [Rappers] don’t know what the meaning of that is.. they’re ignorant! They go overseas and they go to Dubai then they come back and say, ‘look at the new trend I started’. It’s disrespectful!” (from Sandrarose.com)
It's more a political statement than anything, how it started.
This is shit I notice more and more, and I'm not saying only Palestinians/Muslims are entitled to wearing them....I'm all for it as long as you know what you're rocking and you stand behind what it truly represents. Not even just with the keffiyeh, but it just happens to be another easy example of exploitation. It's nobody's fault, ya'll just be blindly buying and wearing shit. For all you know, you could be wearing something that was once worn in support of so-called terrorism. You don't know.

And I ain't even gonna front like I don't have one, but I'm also Arab and I've also always been aware of what it's symbolized.... AND, I also got it in Egypt at a bazaar when I was like 9 years old.

(THIS site had a good discussion going on this....)

Put your Furberry and Houndstooth scarves back on, they look nicer on you anyway.