Sunday, February 3, 2008

I feel violated.


Breakaway pants. This item of clothing was a staple in my wardrobe between the ages of 8-16 because of my involvement in sports and because I was a flat out tomboy. During my grade school (Our Lady of the Mount, Cicero Illinois) days, students were only allowed to wear gym shorts, but exceptions were made when it was really cold. The teacher allowed us to wear pants over our uniform. I decided to wear my navy blue breakaway pants to class one day sans shorts, only underwear under. An obvious recipe for disaster. Some dude depantsed me in front of my entire class. I was embarrassed, but I admit that it was well deserved. This was my first brush with public displays of (semi) nudity. In true Mica fashion however, I upped it a notch the following year by flashing my breasts to my best friend, Kyle Balmer..but that's all behind us at this point...or is it? I relived this exact moment today, but my fellow students were replaced by my fellow Banana Republic shoppers and instead of a boy depantsing me, it was a dressing room hook. I was trying on this gray sweater wrap dress that should be worn with something underneath like a tank top, some tights..just something. I had neither with me, so I tried the dress on with just my bra and underwear. I couldn't decide if I was into it or not, so I needed the 360 degree, 4 mirror look that's outside of the dressing room. As I was stepping out, one of the ties that (barely) holds the dress together somehow got stuck on the hook and completely unwrapped me in front of 5 women, 2 of whom had their boyfriends with them. I instantly tried to do the whole "cover yourself up with your hands" motion, apologized and ran back in the fitting room. It could've been worse. I could have had on some granny panties and an old cotton bra right? So, I left the fitting room, went to the cashier, purchased the wrap dress with some black tights and thought of Kyle, of course.